Her birthday is coming up and you don’t yet have any ideas. She loves exploring the world by concocting her own homemade science project. Or maybe she is always up to date on the latest technology. Or maybe your girl is a builder and loves engineering. Or perhaps your girl is a math whiz. Or maybe she just enjoys all that STEM has to offer and you want to find a way to incorporate her love for STEM during her special day, her birthday! We got you! Below are eleven STEM-inspired birthday party ideas for your girl.
- Go to a museum. There are so many different types of museums you can go to. For example, there’s the local science museum, maritime museum, aviation museum, technology museum, transport museum, or food museum, just to name a few. In fact, spend the day going to a few different ones. Many museums have different engaging STEM-based activities that you and your girl(s) can also participate in and some may allow you to host her birthday party at the museum.
- Visit a 3D Printing shop. Some cities have 3D printing shops. Often times at the 3D Printing shops you can ask for a demonstration and learn more about how 3D printing works.
- Depending on the weather, spend some time outside. Go on a guided nature tour. Some nature centers may provide bird watching kits. Most local and state parks have well-marked self hiking trails as well as paddle sports (canoeing/kayaking/paddle boarding).
- Do some animal exploration. Go to the zoo and/or aquarium. Often times zoos and aquariums have activities that your girl(s) can participate in. You can also host your birthday party at the zoo or aquarium.
- Have a STEM-themed birthday party. Pinterest has so many ideas for what possible themes that you can use and also step by step instructions on invitations, decor, games, and food.
- Work on a STEM-themed project or arts and crafts activities together. Some examples of these activities include invisible ink, solar system mobile, and bath bombs.
- Go to a TV studio. Depending on where you live, you can take tours and see backlots or soundstages. For the girl who loves engineering, this can be a unique way to learn more about engineering from a different perspective.
- Make STEM-themed foods. Cooking is a fun and tasty way to learn more about various STEM topics. Some ideas for possible recipes to use include petri dish jello, candy rope double helix, and radioactive pizza. You can find more recipes here.
- Play STEM-themed games. Invite some friends over and set up some STEM-themed games and activities. You can even make it a competition with a prize for the winner or winners. Some examples include building your own robot using household items or having each child make their own rainbow raindrop clouds with shaving cream. If you’re stumped and want more ideas, Pinterest and Google have plenty.
- Volunteer. What better way to celebrate a birthday than to give back? Some ideas of places that you and your child/children can go include, participating in a community clean up to help take care of the environment or planting a tree or some plants. You can also have your girl(s) donate some money to STEM-based nonprofit or cause that they care about or are interested in. Some of these can include Code to Inspire, Girlstart, Girls Who Code, National Girls Collaborative Project, Stem for Her, The National Math + Science Initiative, WAAW Foundation, and the Malala Fund, just to name a few. There are so many more!
- Go to a discovery center if there is one near you. An example of a discovery center is the LEGOLAND Discovery Center in Somerville, MA. The LEGOLAND Discovery Center is for all ages and provides girls the opportunity to rides, car design challenges and races, short 4D movies, an earthquake table, and building design challenge, karaoke, a play zone, and lots of building with LEGO. The Premium Package also includes a private Master Model Builder Workshop, and the kids get to take home their creations from the workshop.
That concludes our list! Feel free to tailor each of these ideas to the appropriate age category. I hope that you now have a few ideas that you can use for your girl(s) next birthday. What are some fun birthday celebration ideas that you have used in the past? Or what are some fun birthday celebration ideas that you plan to use? Let us know in the comments section below!